Saturday, October 18, 2008

This little light of mine - Self-Esteem Sunday

I just heard about a new feature over at Pennies in my Pocket, from my awesome friend Mamarazzi! It's called Self-Esteem Sunday, and I'm gonna participate! How fun is it that she is encouraging all of us to write something nice about ourselves? If you've never tried it, it can be painful and difficult. One of the hardest things I've ever had to do was write an entire essay about my qualifications to enter the Education Program for my Bachelors Degree. Can you imagine writing an entire essay about how wonderful, brilliant, and well-qualified you are!?! Try it - you'll want to read it over every night!

But for today, the assignment is a bit shorter.

Assignment to you fabulous ladies: So today, turn the TV off from all those
'Hollywood magazine' type shows, put down that magazine that's harping on your
out-of-date clothing and tell me something that has given you a higher
self-esteem. That's right. Brag about yourself or share something that someone
said nice about you or whatever makes you feel better about yourself. Take a
break from pulling yourself down when you look at the mirror first thing in the
morning. (Nobody should look in the mirror first thing in the morning
anyway.)

I think the nicest thing that I've ever heard anyone say about me was about 17 years ago. I was working at a gas station while I finished my associates degree. My manager and another employee were talking about my work and how I dealt with customers when the manager said:

"Supercool Hotmama just SHINES!" *

I've thought back on that comment often.

I think it means so much to me

because

it wasn't about my looks,

or my work,

or my brains,

or my sense of humor...

it was just about me.

My soul.

My spirit, shining through.


How often does one get a compliment like that!?!

*and of course, she called me Supercool Hotmama, because even back then my blogging destiny was taking shape!

19 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

you DO shine and you are a super cool hot mama!!

i love you sooooooo much and my world is better and brighter because of you.

our souls have met...and you are right, yours is BRIGHT!!

i am super glad you decided to do this!! woo hoo!!

Jules said...

I am with mamarazzi! You do shine! In the short time I've known you I've been lucky to get a small glimpse into your life and think you are amazing!

Adele Marshall said...

What a wonderful idea to find something good about ourselves to be proud of. It seems like everywhere we turn there is something or someone trying to pull us down so this is important! Me? I guess the thing I like about myself is that I'm a good friend. I really love people and all their glorious differences. I enjoy reading your blogs and thoughts and from what I have read you are a shiny girl! Like one of those polished stones that is so clear and smooth. It only gets that way after a lot of refining.

Tabitha Blue said...

That is awesome!! Such a good idea to think of things to boost our self esteem! I may have to work on this...

I love that comment though... that you shine!! What a great compliment. Such a good thing to think about! Keep it up!

:)
~Tabitha~

Tabitha Blue said...

LOL, I just saw the photo you have of Palin, perfect!! :)

the haynie's said...

Hey girl! I love you so much... we've known each other so long that I take for granted the part you've played in instilling my almost-never-ending confidence. You've always loved and encouraged me in all I do. You've also been an inspiration for me. I can't believe how much alike we are in the way that it counts! We are pretty great. I'm gonna go with our artistic talents for this weekend; we can do almost anything and if we had more time an money I know we could do it all! Thanks for being so wonderful :)

sandi said...

Awwww; you are a shining star! We need to do our lunch with Bryson soon so I can meet you in person finally :o)

Hannah said...

This sounds like a fun Sunday-tradition! I don't know you very well (YET) but as of now I think you're great!!!

I made a post about my true-love-waits ring like you asked! Wanna go take a look?

I think it might apply to your post about Sundays-- but not whole-heartedly I guess.

Michelle said...

Wow, that is a totally awesome comment to receive. I can see why you have remembered it after all these years.

Cecily R said...

I couldn't agree more. You shine right through my computer!

Pennies In My Pocket said...

This post ROCKS!! Thank you so much for participating in SES!!!

You shine SO much that my laptop is melting!!! Just think how dark the world would be without you!!

Thanks again, for joining in SES...I'll be doing it next weekend, too. I'm posting the topic for next week on Monday morning. Hope you'll come back and join again!! :-)

SHINE ON!!! :)

~melody~

Crystal Rae said...

WOw... a whole essay, I don't even know if I could do that. If I did it might take me few months, LOL. Cute site too.

P.S. I took every picture!

Debe said...

You do shine and glow!

Lindsay said...

You have always shined to me too! Being around you always makes me want to use my creative side more. I love that about you!

Jaina said...

What a neat idea, I really like that. I agree that you do shine. :)

Avery Tales said...

That is one of the best compliments anyone can receive. From the little time I've spent on your blog I see that it is very true.

Wendy said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to congratulate my special friend Tami!!!

Wendy said...

You have created an amazing blog that does fit you and your personality. It's always fun to visit. You did yourself justice on those post, so glad you gave yourself some "warm fuzzies".

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

That's awesome! You've been a great blogging buddy and I'm glad we've bumped into each other!
What a great idea this meme ..... maybe one day I'll play along....

Blog Widget by LinkWithin