Wednesday, January 7, 2009

There's nothing like having a secret admirer!

I've been feeling very Valentines-y, now that Christmas is over. I took down the Christmas decorations and went straight to Valentine's Day. Time to display the cute little felt sugar cookies that I obsessed over making last year!




Since I'm thinking about Valentine's Day, and since My little Princess came home today absolutely glowing because she has a secret admirer, I thought I'd repost a Memory Lane Monday - My Best Valentine's Day EVER!


The princess is in 4th grade. At her Back-to-Basics school, all parties are on Fridays. So, last Friday (remember, this is a repost - so this was last year) was their Valentine's Day party. As she was getting ready for school, I remembered my favorite Valentine's day and had to tell her the story. Today, I share it with you.

3rd Grade. 1974. I was in Mrs. Neilsen's class (she was in my ward at church) and I was teacher's pet, because I was quiet (always daydreaming), sweet, and smart. My best friend was Serena. I had a crush on Danny Arrendondo (he had dimples, curly hair, and had kissed me on the cheek during a movie in 1st grade, and I was still hoping for a repeat).


On Valentine's Day I took my brown paper grocery bag of Valentines and my plate of homemade sugar cookies (hearts with pink frosting, no sprinkles) to pass out at the party, and innocently made my way across the street to my Elementary School, little knowing that it would be a day of romance unequaled in the 33 years since.

Craving Sugar Cookies Now? Go check out my recipe blog supercoolmomsrecipes.blogspot.com

In the 3rd grade there were 4 classes. Since it was the 7o's our classes were arranged in "Pods" where all four 3rd grade classes were open to each other and separated by book shelves, but we would meet in the middle after lunch to have a joint read-aloud book, etc. One of my best friends was Denise Vargas (cousin of Ralph Chandos, bane of my existence - who called me names in Kindergarten, cut himself on my gold bracelet while trying to pry it off my arm later that year, and broke his lunch sack over my head in first grade). Of course, we only gave Valentine's to the kids in our own class. So as we opened our cards, I was surprised that Denise had given me two! Then I noticed that one was signed, not Denise, but Dennis. I asked her if it was from her (spelling error?) But no, she had no knowledge of the extra valentine that was placed in my decorated kleenex box. There was no Dennis in Mrs. Neilsen's class. Soon the girls were a-buzz with the mystery of my secret admirer. We decided it must be from Dennis, in another class! An Unheard of event at my Elementary School! What a brazen boy to venture past the invisible classroom dividing line to secretly place a valentine in my box!?!


I sent Denise and Serena to confront him on it. Did he put a Valentine card in Supercool Hotmama's box? Yep. He did. And what's more....he wanted me to meet him outside the classroom after school. In those precious stolen moments outside the classroom, he asked me if he could come to my house, and if I would listen for "our song" on my transistor radio - "Don't go changin' to try and please me, I like you just the way you are". Walking on air, I raced home to tell my Mom that I was expecting a gentleman caller. I'm sure I said something like, "A boy named Dennis who is not in my class put a Valentine in my box and I thought it was from Denise but she spells her name D-e-n-i-s-e and it was spelled D-e-n-n-i-s and he is going to come over to our house to see me."


He actually came over. His purpose - He was going to become a Magician, and he wanted me to be his Magician's Assistant! The highest compliment that I could think of! How beautiful I must have been (I thought), for him, Dennis, to actually want ME, to be his Magician's Assistant!?! I could just picture myself in pumps and black fishnet stockings, a satin-y red out fit and maybe with elbow length gloves, holding his top hat while he pulled a rabbit out of it. When he left, after about a half hour of planning, I rushed in to tell my Mom about my new career, and the details about my ambitious admirer.

That was the end of the romance. He planned to come back when he knew more magic so we could practice, but he may have changed career paths or something. We went our own separate ways after our brief encounter. I often think of him when I hear "Our Song".

But still, an unparalelled Valentine's Day!

I can tell you, there is NOTHING like having a secret admirer!

Want to read more Wordful Wednesday Posts? Go see Angie's 7 Clown Circus


26 comments:

Mamarazzi said...

BEST. Post. E-V-E-R!!!

seriously, i got all giggly and goofy reading it. so sweet. iy would most def be hard to beat that Valentines day.

i am STILL smiling!

Jen said...

I LOVE THIS!!!

I also love the felt valentines cookies. If those aren't the cutest things I've ever seen, I don't know what is!

tammi said...

Awesome post, Mama! What a great memory ~ thanks so much for sharing it!! You gotta love first grade secret admirers.

Now you MUST share where you found the patterns for those wonderful felt sugar cookies!! (Or I will be forced to search through your archives!! ;))

Jen Sue Wild said...

I want to make some of those cookies.

Ok I love love this sweet story it is way too cute..

the haynie's said...

love it! I don't remember hearing that one... I was probably too wrapped up in the love story (my own) that would have inspired the telling of such a great Valentine Day! I'm glad to hear it now.

J-ME said...

Totally cute! I love elemetary love stories! I was smiling all through the story. Too cute!

Jaina said...

What a cute story. I remember getting a normal valentine and a special store bought card from my boy in Kindergarten. Don't know what happened to him, but I have that card somewhere...I think my mom has it safely tucked away.

Are You Serious! said...

♥ Great Story! :)

Devri said...

Oh I heart this post.. I missed you, and I heart you too.

Anonymous said...

Loved this post!

Hootin Anni said...

Those felt cookies, you made?!!! Wow, I am totally so impressed with them. And love your memory lane repost.

My Wordful is an update on Winston's Ladybug stool. Come on over if you can, I so love visitors and their comments!!! Happy day to you.

Jen said...

ok so now I want a secret admirer but I guess then it wouldn't be so secret.

Susie said...

I have my Valentine's Day stuff up too. It's just easier to go from one to another.

Great memory:-)

Lori of I'm no super Mom said...

What a great story!!! So cute! I love V-Day!

Jules said...

I wanted something like that to happen to me so badly! You lucky lucky girl! Thanks! This was an awesome memory to share!!!

Michelle said...

I have seen those felt cookies on Esty and have wanted to make some.

Yours look so good, makes me ready for some V-day.

Anonymous said...

That was the most fun to read. Thanks so much for sharing!

tiarastantrums said...

those are lovely valentines!

Claremont First Ward said...

What a wonderful, wonderful story, and so apropos so close to Valentine's day. Don't you love how fickle young love is? :)

Laura said...

I had a secret admirer in college. He would leave Charlie Brown comics for me, and address them to "the little red headed girl". I had a boyfriend, but LOOOOOOVED these little notes! Still smile about it today.

And those felt sugar cookies? Holy crap I love them! And a woman that moves from one holiday to the next...shoot, I think I have new blog to add to my growing list.

Unknown said...

What a sweet sweet story. I loved it.

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

i have never had a secret admirer...i have always wanted one though!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

lvoe the felt cookies...they have way fewer calories and don't go bad!!!

Wendelyn DeMoss said...

What a fun story, sure brought back memories for met too. Some I had not thought of in a long time. Isn't it funny the details we remember. This was a great WW post and those cookies look great too!

Holly said...

That is so sweet - 3rd grade and he had a career path.... So sweet!

Cupcake Dessert said...

those felt cookies are so adorable!!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin