Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Attitude of Gratitude

I just wanted to share an experience I had yesterday. I was having a frustrating morning and feeling very disheartened. So I had the babies kneel down with me and we had a prayer. Then as I continued through the morning I said out loud everything I am grateful for.

"I'm grateful for electricity.
I'm grateful for diaper wipes.
I'm grateful for living in AZ (it was a balmy 65 degrees yesterday).
I'm grateful for sexy black pumps, lipstick, and blowdryers.
I'm grateful for dryer sheets, and washers and dryers.
I'm grateful for running cars and working appliances.
I'm grateful for shoes, and clothes, and food.
I'm grateful for wonderful kids who make good choices.
I'm grateful for my babies.
I'm grateful for the gospel and our knowldege of it.
I'm grateful for a worthy husband who works hard for us.
I'm grateful for the atonement and our Savior Jesus Christ.
I'm grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who knows each of us and loves us.
I'm grateful for the Holy Ghost.
I'm grateful for prayer and baptism.
I'm grateful for chocolate.
I'm grateful for my family..."

I continued to try to count all my blessings, big and small, and name them aloud. (It was probably a good thing only the babies were around to hear me, because it might have sounded a little nutty.) Soon that attitude of gratitude was overcoming the feelings of depression and despair. I was looking at all the positive things in my life and not dwelling on the difficulties. We are truly blessed.

I'm also grateful for you and your friendship. I love you. Thanks for the kind birthday wishes. I really had a wonderful day.

"Be Grateful.
Be Smart.
Be Clean.
Be True.
Be Humble.
Be Prayerful."
- President Gordon B. Hinkley

12 comments:

Devri said...

me grateful for you too!

Jen said...

What a wonderful message. I need to take this to heart and follow your example!! Thanks Janie!

Cindy Price said...

You did just like the hymn said. Something we all need to remember. Thanks for reminding me!!


When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings; name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

[Chorus]
Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your blessings;
See what God hath done.
Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your many blessings;
See what God hath done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings; ev’ry doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.

Are You Serious! said...

♥ that's a great idea! I have days like that too and need to remember to do that! :)

KATE said...

Well said! I always love your posts, and this one was just perfect!!

Jules said...

We must be on the same page because I did the exact thing last night saying family prayer (hubby had a humbling work moment). I was wondering if the younger two would say anything. They didn't & their bedtime prayers were a tad longer than usual. Hmmmm.

Debe said...

sorry things didn't start out going your way.
I seem to always forget how important and healing gratitude is... thanks for the reminder.
You are truly an amazing person! I treasure our friendship!

Cecily R said...

You're awesome. What a good way for me to start my day...with your great example. I am so grateful for you!!!!

Jen said...

Since you still have comments here, I'm being sneaky and commenting on the pie chart above! HILARIOUSLY FUNNY and SO SO SO SO True for me! Guess I'm old as well! :)

vsalono said...

That pie chart from January 28th isn't only true because you are old, but also because of ADHD!! You're really in trouble now. Sorry. LOL ~ Vic

Anonymous said...

Greateful for your sharing this with me.

Holly said...

It is always nice to thinking about your blessings - when you do - you have a lot more than you realize sometimes! :)

And I love the note your sister emailed you - so funny!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin